The day I realised I’m not 23 anymore & my new bucket list

25 things to do before you’re 25? There’s a lot of these kind of lists around the net… things to do before you die, things to do before you reach milestone ages. Most of them involve things like bungee jumping or travelling the world… mine includes painting skirting boards and starting savings accounts.

I felt like the most boring person on earth when I wrote my list, but they are genuinely the things I want to do before I turn 25! Thing’s I’ve meant to do for ages but never get around to actually doing…

Bucket list 25 before 25

The thing is, I did have some exciting thing’s in my list… when I thought I was 23. Yep I wrote the list in November, forgetting that I had turned 23 in August!

For 3 months whenever someone asked me how old I am (I get asked a lot at work- apparently I look too young to be trusted catching babies!) I’ve been saying 23. But I’m not. I’m 24.

I met up with my best friend before Christmas for drinks and it got to about 1am, the point where you start rambling and talking about old times as the nostalgia creeps in. We talked about the good times and the amazing girls holiday we went on before we had children and I told her it was actually on my list! She asked what else I had on my list and as I read out all 25 things she was like ‘blimey, how are you going to do that in 9 months?’

Um… I have 18 months to get it all done!

Nope, you have 9 months – you’re 24.

I didn’t believe her at first. We sat and drunkenly worked out my date of birth… and suddenly the world came crashing down around me in my emotional drunken haze…  how am i going to qualify as a midwife in 9 months? I turn 25 in august and don’t qualify till September… Cross that one off my list!

And go on a road trip? well that was being postponed till after i qualified… so that one’s out too!

Write a book? Hahahaha. With my dissertation, portfolios, job interviews, exams, 13 hour shifts and oh yeah, actually seeing my family sometimes? No way pedro.

So basically my list was cut in half and new items were added. And they’re not all that exciting.

Here is my list written out so that I can cross items off when I complete them! I need people to keep me in check… So please feel free to come and give me a kick up the bum I’m not actually doing any of them! In fact leave me a comment with the number you want me to do, and I’ll that first :D

1. Donate blood.
2. Change driving license address from when we moved 4 years ago.
3. Evict foxes from bramble den at the back of the garden.
4. Spend 24 hours in the garden!
5. Have a random acts of kindness day
6. Release message balloons with our email and see if anyone responds
7. Cut off my hair and donate it to charity
8. Replace gross 70s (80s?) carpet in the hallway.
9. Find a place for everything, and then put everything in it’s place.
10. Buy a wide angle lens for camera.
11. Get into the habit of going to bed at a reasonable time.
12. Write a will.
13. Complete C25K – don’t give up this time!
14. Set up savings accounts for the boys.
15. Make a family tree
16. Finish painting all the skirting boards.
17. Stop drinking coke zero. Or fizzy drinks in general. For at least a month.
18. Donate my eggs
19. Get photos printed to put in empty frames and to give family members
20. Make photobooks of all our photos, organise the ones we’re keeping and back them up!
21. Find a penpal
22. Use our merlin pass at least twice a month
23. Organise the boys art cuboard and their expedits.
24. See someone (chiropractor? Osteopath?) about my back.
25. Take my nan away for the weekend like she used to do for me when i was little.

As I said – please leave me a comment with a number and I’ll do it :) consider it a challenge! Or just leave me words of encouragement ;)

I’m linking this post to PoCoLo! x

Comments

1. says

What a great list and a wonderful idea. I am feeling decidedly old this year so maybe a list like yours will help me feel less so. Then again I looked at yours and realised I haven’t done anything on it. So maybe not… Good luck with completing it all!
    #PoCoLo

2. says

Great idea! I’ll need a 40 before I’m 40 ;-) So I would like to say number 1 – donate blood as I’m big on blood donations and number 22 – Merlin Pass, we have them and make a big effort to use them often. Good luck with it all!
    Popping over from #PoCoLo

• says

You should definitely do a 40 before your 40! :). Merlin pass is tricky at the moment as everywhere seems to be closed until march but we’ve been to the london aquarium 4 times already! Eek! x

3. says

I’m currently doing number 15, it’s actually really fun and it is fascinating what you can find out :-) Good luck with your list #PoCoLo

4. says

Love the mix of big and little things, I hope you get as much completed as possible. Oh and the fizzy drink thing, I stopped buying it in the house and after about a week it didn’t bother me. I can’t even think when I used to drink it, much prefer a cup of tea any day.

5. says

What a great list! Like you said there’s tons of these lists out there but I think the more practical ones are the best. They’re things you could actually achieve rather than dream of. :) #PoCoLo

6. says

I’d choose number 25! :) I’m a big fan of grandmothers. Wasn’t close to my paternal grandmother, but I was really close to my maternal one, but she died when I was 10 :( Good luck! #PoCoLo

• says

Aww, I’m sorry for your loss, my nan looked after my most of my childhood when my parents were away and working so she’s like my 2nd mum, I look forward to spending some quality time with her soon while I still have the chance, she will be 88 next month! xx

7. says

What an amazing list! So many incredible giving things to do. Wow! And I know what you mean about forgetting your age. I’ve done that too. It feels weird, hey? But in the end age is relative. I believe that you can do everything you dream of. I vote for #24 do something to help your back, because it’s so easy for women and Moms to put themselves last and pain is no fun. Even if you just get yourself a heat pad & spend some time nurturing yourself for now… You deserve to feel great! Hugs, mel

8. says

Wow! What an amazing idea! I’m 30 this year and I wish I’d thought of doing a list for when I was 25! Donating your eggs for IVF is such a huge and generous thing to do but I think you should start at the top and give blood – so quick and something you can do easily, regularly when you get into the habit of it :)

• says

Thanks for the comment! You can do a 35 before your 35 list! :) Would love to read it! I’ve just had a look at donating blood and seems there’s a session near me at the end of this month! Perfect timing :) xx